Saturday, April 7, 2012

Hashimotos Thyroiditis and Herbal Remedies


Hashimoto S Thyroiditis Diet Hashimotos Thyroiditis and Herbal Remedies.

The question is burning in me; can an herbal treatment go a long way in helping someone with Hashimotos Thyroiditis? I have to confess, I've never been one to trust herbal remedies for something as complicated as this disease, but recently my research has been promising. I may consider, for the first time, delving into the thought a bit more.

So, what would we need to know in order to be ready to move towards herbs in the healing of something like Thyroiditis? I think I would start with what's "broken". Let's take a look at that question. Caring Medical & Rehabilitation Services in Illinois describes it this way:

"Normally, the immune system uses naturally occurring antibodies to help protect against viruses, bacteria and foreign substances (antigens) that invade the body. In Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the immune system mistakenly attacks the thyroid gland, but instead of destroying the gland, an antibody prevents the thyroid from producing adequate amounts of thyroid hormone."

What a wonderful explanation to help someone like me who can't stand technical jargon! This really means (in my understanding) that the immune system is "backfiring" on us. On top of this, the thyroid hormone output is compromised, leaving us tired, weary, and depressed. The symptoms associated with this snowball effect can be debilitating. I know, I have experienced some extremely difficult ones. One that hits me the most regular are digestive problems. The one that hits me the hardest is inflammation - especially when I feel this in association with the brain. I bring this up because I have had bouts of feeling like I was just going to fade out of this world, blurred vision with over-the-eye pain, all present while having trouble with digestion. It's as if the body just cannot process anything at times. This article is not intended to address the ways I've treated these symptoms (successfully for the most part) but the focus is on whether herbs can help them. So, let's explore the possibility of the role of herbs in healing this types of symptoms.

Now that we know that the immune system is the "root problem" of this disease, is there an herbal preparation designed to combat this malfunction? First, I always believe that we need to take out the things that are over-burdening the body. This begins with allergens, both in our environment (what is possible) and diet, side effects from over-the-counter drugs that can be creating additional symptoms, and chemicals, both in food, beauty aides and household cleaning products, etc. Now, with that already set in motion, we can begin to take into the body what might be missing. Obviously, if we don't have enough thyroid hormone in our body, then the natural conclusion is that we need to stimulate this function within our system. The herbs Bladderwrack (or kelp), Avena Sativa (derived from the wild oat plant), Coleus forskohli (an Indian mint derivative), all appear to be helpful for hypothyroid conditions. The benefits of the herbs prepared specifically for low thyroid may help weight loss efforts by stimulating metabolism, help lower cholesterol, calm nerves, lower blood pressure and stimulate the thyroid to release thyroid hormones.

So, in an effort to seek healing, we must keep our minds open to all types of avenues. If you haven't tried herbs for the thyroid, see below for one such herbal remedy called Thyroid Assist. It's also very helpful to be a member of a specifically for those with thyroiditis to interact with other sufferers. May we continue to find answers together.

hashimoto s thyroiditis diet.